Sunday 4 February 2018

Little Sparrow

 
In the noughties I lived in Walthamstow for a couple of years before heading to the fens.  I came up to Cambridgeshire quite a bit but my patch was Walthamstow Reservoirs.  I never loved the place but it did allow a space to follow the seasons and get out birding nearby.  We still visit regularly as the in-laws are still in the stow and todays visit allowed me a chance to pop out and have a look for the Little Bunting that has taken up residence.  I was quite shocked at the change of visiting arrangements, the place was heaving with a large car park and visitor centre directing folk around the reservoirs.  In my day it was a coded padlock and use of the anglers car park and portacabin.  There was a crowd waiting for the bunting to show and after a half hour or so the bird popped up into the bushy tangle  and then flew to a nearby tree before heading back down into the weedy waste ground.  I had some very nice but brief views but following this showing the entire gathering dispersed, I was much relieved and the following hour the bird flew up to perches on 4 more occasions.  I had some great views, never longer than a minute and frequently ticking anxiously with wing flicks ready to fly at any given moment.
 
 
definitely not this one
 
 
nor this one
 
 
there we go
 
 


   



 
 
I have enjoyed Black Terns, Osprey, Turnstone, Red-necked Grebe against Canary Wharf skyline back in the day.
 
 
Snazzy visitor centre - beware, the site is crawling with hipsters of varying ages getting their nature fix - you know, in the wild.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.