Tuesday 13 October 2015

I still haven't found what I'm looking for ..........either

I didn't have the time to put in daily searches for Siberian Sprytes during the week although I did use the tape lure plenty enough around my garden and immediate hedgerows.  It was nice, with Goldcrests, Long-tailed Tits and a smattering of Chiffchaff in the sallows, Siskins flew over now and again and a single Redpoll also.  But no spryte here either.

With an autumnal spring in my step I headed out early Sunday morning to Fordham Woods, a site I love.  There were crests and tits in profusion along the beech arched path and at the entrance to the wood a sneezy pair of Marsh Tits responded to the Yellow-brow tape.  Further into the wood little flocks of Siskin buzzed around and Skylark rippled over head almost constantly.  A Water Rail screamed with all the gusto of a barking Muntjac and here a Redpoll also bounced and rattled south.  A couple of Swallows barely glanced down amidst their exit and Goldcrests flicked and tumbled through the tangles.  Where the path joined the River Snail, aptly named - almost sessile, the vista widened and spruces and sycamore punctuate amidst tall stumps and jungle.   This is where the Firecrest will sing some spring.

Today though it was the excitable notes of a Nuthatch that filled me with glee.  I have heard a single once before in the Ely10, a status shared with the spryte.  The calls were soon joined by another and another, in total there were 4 Nuthatches along this stretch of wood and I was able to watch as they picked their way through the leaf tangle, extracting spiders and mites as they went.  I did the loop of the wood again, it is a great place to lose yourself, metaphorically, and the hours slipped by gorgeously. I'd advise a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.