Tuesday 11 November 2014

On approaching Welney.









Kestrels seem to be having a good winter so far- I counted seven between Welney and Pymoor, and there were a few more hunting over the fields on my journey from Ely. I took this sequence from the balcony at Welney's reserve centre as it hovered above the hedge along the road. In contrast, a female Hen harrier flew low along the ditches beyond Lady Fen, and a young Marsh harrier harrassed the waders on the reserve itself, sending them crying into the air ballooning into great flocks.
On the way to Welney this morning a host of Starlings straddled the road, drinking from a puddle, then flowing down onto the black field and glittered. At one point they surrounded my van as I drove slowly along, camera poking out of the window hoping for a lucky shot..